SERVE JERSEY CITY – JC AmeriCorps VISTA program
JC VISTA is part of AmeriCorps VISTA, a nationwide program whose members volunteer full-time for a year at local government agency to carry out programs that fight poverty. Our members address the needs of low-income residents by expanding economic opportunity, engaging youth and strengthening communities. The JC VISTA team is vital to the City’s ability to develop, implement and evaluate a clear and coordinated strategy for promoting and supporting community engagement strategies, including targeted volunteerism, as an effective means to addressing the City’s greatest challenges. Administered by the Jersey City Resident Response Center (RRC), this strategy will include ongoing collaboration with multiple City and County agencies, departments, nonprofit organizations and community groups.
To help with this effort, the City is seeking experienced and highly motivated self starters with leadership skills to serve as a JC VISTA. Becoming a JC VISTA is a unique opportunity for the next generation of civic leaders that will work in the community and with the community to address some of Jersey City’s most pressing needs. This exciting opportunity will enable the VISTA member to support ongoing work that includes capacity-building to support workforce development, youth development, resident quality of life and empowerment, and volunteerism.
Summer of 2016 we will welcome our second "class" in this three year grant, and VISTAs will be working in these positions (July, August start dates):
Cities of Service Associate
Data Analyst & Volunteer Coordinator
Immigration & New Citizen Services Coordinator
Youth Services Associate
Neighborhood Service Analyst
Neighborhood Service Coordinator
Workforce Investment Analyst
Workforce Investment Coordinator
Basic Qualifications Required
· A Bachelors degree or 3 years related work experience
· Commitment to serving full time for one year
· US citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the US
· Strong interpersonal, organizational, oral, writing and computer skills
· Ability to work well with others in a team
· A living allowance of approx. $1,100 per month ($1,300 for the VISTA Leader)
· 10 vacation days and 10 sick leave days
· Health care coverage options and workers compensation.
· Federal loan forbearance and payment on interest accrued on qualified loans.
· Upon completion of your 12 months of service, receive an education award of $5,775 or a cash stipend of $1,500, and NCE (non-competitive eligibility) status when applying for federal jobs
How to apply:
Brief descriptions of the above positions can be found at the My AmeriCorps website:
Refine the search by typing “Serve Jersey City” in program name; after hitting the position’s hyperlink and choosing “apply now”, you will then be asked to register with the system.