Volunteer opportunity description
The 2nd Annual Great Jersey City Cleanup will be held in honor of Earth Day on April 29, 2017 and will take place throughout Jersey City. We hope to mobilize residents, civic organizations, community leaders and elected officials to roll up their sleeves and help clean our City on a single day!
Why we need the Great American Clean-Up:
· Over 51 billion pieces of litter land on U.S. roadways each year. That’s 6,729 items per mile.
· Litter cleanup costs the U.S. almost $11.5 billion annually, with businesses picking up $9.1 billion of that tab.
· The presence of litter in a community takes a toll on quality of life, property values, and housing prices.
How the Great American Cleanup Can Make a Difference:
Each year, the Keep America Beautiful Great American Cleanup engages:
· More than 20,200 participating communities
· More than 4 million volunteers across the country
· In 2014, Great American Cleanup volunteers:
· Removed 37 million pounds of litter and debris for safer, cleaner communities
· Cleaned 85,901 miles of streets, highways, trails, 0waterways and shorelines
· Cleaned acres of parks, public lands and wetlands
· Collected more than 250 million pounds of recyclables
Who we are:
The Great Jersey City Clean-up is brought to you by the City of Jersey City and Keep Jersey City Beautiful. Keep Jersey City Beautiful is the first affiliate of Keep America Beautiful in the State of New Jersey. Keep American Beautiful (KAB) is a leading national nonprofit that inspires and educates people to take action everyday to improve and beautify their community. To learn more about KAB and our affiliation, visit us here: http://volunteer.jerseycitynj.gov/organizations/index.php?org_id=2121
Through the KAB leadership, the City of Jersey City has spearheaded special initiatives under the Keep Jersey City Beautiful umbrella such as Stop the Drop Anti-Litter Program, which you can learn more about here: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/StopTheDrop2015/ and the Jersey City Mural Arts Program, which you can learn more about here: http://jerseycityculture.org/jersey-city-street-gallery/
Why the Great Jersey City Clean-Up Needs You:
It is our belief that our responsibility for our neighborhoods extends beyond that of our own front doors; creating and keeping a beautiful city takes civic engagement and community action.
The Great Jersey City Clean Up is looking for responsible, detail oriented and dedicated members of the community to help before, during, and after the clean-up. Zone captains will help manage volunteers and coordinate with other zone captains in their ward as well as the Ward Representative to make sure all volunteers are safe and have the tools needed.
Individuals that volunteer to be Zone Captains will be required to attend captains training to learn about the day of logistics and to get any other resources that will help.
The following are responsibilities:
· Gather equipment for volunteers
· Check in volunteers for the day of
· Coordinate with their Ward Representative
· Manage Volunteers
To learn more about what a zone captain is and how you can help, please contact us at KJCB@jcnj.org
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeepJCBeautiful/
Volunteers must sign a waiver before participating in the Cleanup.
Our volunteer needs
April 29, 2017